It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:54 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Schools ....which to choose??!!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:47 pm 

Dear Moms and Dads in Sharm,

I seriously need your opinion on choices of schools and which you think form experience is the best available.

I visited both St. joseph and SSLS and wasnt very contect ... they are moderate minding the cost and vs options available back in Cairo. It is making me reconsider and enroll my 3.5 yrs old Raheem to a french or even german school. Are the ones here good?? and what about the Sharm College?? Any ideas on systems, quality, security and costs?

I wanted to settle for Englich education with a second language (french/german...other) so I can easily folow with him and also had the concern of finding a suitable replacement when we go back to Cairo. Moreover, most friends I spoke with said that the British is the best in market yet, it is way outta budget for me :(

If not ... then how about nurseries?? any good ones with quality education ...Raheem has been to preschool for over 1.5 yrs now and he knows alot of the things they teach in preschools even in official schools therefore, I wish we can find a place for him to spend the day learning and interacting and adding up to his charachter.

....awaiting your feedback :)

thanks,
Aliaa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:50 am 

Dear Aliaa,

We have three types of schools in sharm:-
1- International school: teach an international curriculum (French school, British School and St. Joseph American section).

2- Language schools: teach Egyptian curriculum in English as in Cairo (Sharm Collage, Sharm International School in Nabq and St. Joseph National Section).

3- Local and experimental schools: el fayrouz language school, el fayrouz experimental school and geel October local school.

You have to determine first which type you prefer. For example if you decided the international curriculums you have only three options to choose between.

Among each category, you have to go to each school to clear the picture.
And then you will choose the best.

For example I prefer the international schools, I went to the three schools mentioned above, and I found the French school is the best for my daughter, they are professional and they teach the French curriculum as in France, beside English and Arabic languages from KG's + one more language to choose in primary.

I wish you luck.

Post subject: Re: Schools ....which to choose??!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:26 pm 

hey all , i have been living in sharm for 2 years , and my daughter is entering school this year , and i tell u all after searching hard i found out that the french school is the best until now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 am 
VIP

What about the British in Coral Bay. I always thought this is the best, but also most expensive one...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 am 

Meanwhile Sharm College is offering international curriculum as well. They are teaching Arabic and English for KG's and starting with Primary German as well. Anyhow I believe, during the KG classes you still can get experiences about the school and it is possible to make a change. During the open days they will show you what they want to show only, real life will start after.

I thought, French school applicants need at least one of their parents speaking French... is this true?

"In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope.In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort.In a world filled with despair,we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:57 pm 

Don't be stressed that you cannot put your child in the British it is NOT by any means the best school in Sharm.... of course most people who go there will tell you it is because what else could they say.

I on the the other hand did pay the fortune to send my son to the SBS and I am deeply stressed out about the outcome after I have had my son assessed by several international and private egyptian schools in Cairo.... the out come is my son will be held back a year :(

I have decided that any school run by the parents and the teachers is not at all professional or correct it needs to be run by an educated owner and or a government body.

The problem as parents here do not have the tools or the know how to research what schools are really and truly interested in the education of our children for example did you know that the UK GOV does not recognize any school outside of the UK, although there are many british schools around the world, but what they do have is 1 or 2 companies that the school pays a yearly fee and they do assessments and monitor the curriculum which is not the case at the SBS as an example, in egypt if your school s not registered with the ministry of Education they also do not monitor the education so it is left up to a few parents and a few teachers and where and how the teachers are hired re they qualified when did they teach last and where etc... so many things to ask but we don't we know that we like our life in Sharm ad we believe anything with a foreign logo on is good!!!

ANyhow at the end of the day we have to take responsibility for our children and cannot put 100% of the blame on others and we cannot give 100% trust to others as well when it comes to the well being of our children.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:13 pm 

British' and 'International' Schools abroad
VIEW SCHOOLS BY COUNTRY
Outside the UK, British education is exclusively in private hands as the British Government (apart from for the British armed forces in some places and for officials of the European Union in others), does not run or support any schools anywhere in the world. This means that there is a wide variety of British independent schools worldwide, large and small, some primary, some secondary and others all-through. Some have been founded by companies, others by individuals, while others are owned by parents or by teachers. It should be borne in mind that the British Government plays no part whatsoever in authorising or monitoring these schools, and while many may be excellent educational institutions, this may not always be the case.

Nor unfortunately does the term 'British School' necessarily indicate that a school actually follows a British Curriculum. There are, in some countries, schools that call themselves 'British Schools' that follow a non-British curriculum (maybe the local curriculum) and justify the name merely by teaching English to the students. Sometimes, schools that call themselves British Schools may follow the local curriculum but add in elements of the English curriculum, thereby creating a bilingual school.

On the other hand, some schools following the British curriculum may not call themselves 'British', perhaps preferring the term 'International' to reflect their cosmopolitan student body. Around the world there are many schools described as 'International'. This term can mean virtually anything, ranging from a national school of the host country that teaches English as a foreign language, to a school that follows a range of different curricula mixed together, to a school that follows a curriculum leading to the International Baccalaureat.

One recent study suggests that there are over 1,400 schools outside the UK that teach a curriculum that uses some elements of the English National curriculum or teach for recognised UK examinations such as Key Stage Tests, GCSE or A-levels. Some of these schools belong to regional or national associations abroad.

One such association is 'The Council of British International Schools' or 'COBIS', which was originally founded as 'COBISEC' in The Netherlands in 1981. For details of COBIS, please click here.

http://www.isc.co.uk/InternationalZone_ ... abroad.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:59 pm 
VIP

Well, I wanted to stay away from this subject because I am involved in the system but still , I get involved because I am interested about the education of my son, so I will share my opinions :

- first if you put your children in a school where you or your husband do not understand the main language – how you will help them, know their level, know if they have difficulties with the languages or learning difficulties and so on. Be prepared to hire tutors all the time and still you will feel like in a fog.

- Second, British School in Sharm is just for foreign children because they do not teach any subjects in Arabic – so how you can call an Egyptian person educated if he/she does not master Standard Arabic?

- Another option for the foreigner students is the “home schooling “school, even if as far as I know, home schooling is accepted just in USA and therefore just for American citizen.

- Third, make sure that the school is accredited by the Ministry of Education especially if you plan for a long stay in Egypt .Any accreditation forces the school to have a special standard of education – inspections, national tests, etc.

- Fourth, keep in mind that the big fees are also because the classes have few students and international schools have also good books and resources which cost a lot of money.

- Fifth, go to parents meetings! Talk to the teachers .Listen to them and tell them that you would like your child to be more/ less challenged if you think something is wrong. If you stay home and talk to your neighbor that the school is bad because it seems to you or her that way, you did nothing.

- Sixth, it is very important to have beautiful school and nice gentle teachers for nurseries, but for school other things are more important.

- For me – I am foreigner with Egyptian husband that affords any school as we have just one child – I think that the best choice is St Joseph’s International School - American Section – their students went to very good universities in Egypt and USA and the students who got transferred in Cairo and Alexandria had no problems .Even some of them, when asked, they said that the schools in Cairo and Alexandria are much more expensive, but even have better facilities, the education is not better. The same feedback I had from some parents who had their children in the International Section and now they are in Cairo. The American system is recognized by the Ministry of Education in Egypt plus the students take the national standardized tests in Arabic, Religion and Arabic Social Studies in the governmental school in Sharm and in El Tur. So by their SAT scores, grades and results on the national tests they enter universities – private or governmental. Also two of the ex- students are now in colleges in SUA.

- I am better in French then in English but my husband is not, and also I do not see any use of French here in Egypt or in my home country– maybe just like the second (the forth in my son’s case ) so for me French School is not an option.

- The problem in Sharm is that it is very small; all the people that you ask have ulterior motives to advise you in a way or another. They know the owner, they have been fired from the school, their child has bad grades , had a problem with a teacher or simply have completely different vision then yours.

- I asked also the teachers who moved from a school to another about which one they consider the best – the answer was the same from all – the education is not much different – we moved just for the salary and/or the better accomodation.

- So , I think that children have a chance in Sharm (and not necessarily mine – I am able to help him in all the subjects till grade 12, I was an exceptional student) . But also the students who graduated from St Joseph and are now in good universities and they make their parents proud.

- For Shannon- if your son had good grades and you are sure that he has enough knowledge, maybe he is shy – try to test him yourself – we had a case like this in our school – a girl who came from another school did 22 points out of 100 on the admission test and because her mom insisted that she is much better, she did it again in more friendly environment and circumstances– ended she was a very good student but not used to take tests.

P.S.1.I am involved in St.Joseph School because for my child this is the best future option , so also my opinions are biased, I did not intend to do any advertisement for the school. I just expressed how I think as a parent who has some information from inside the system.

2. I did not even visited any other school because I do not care if the walls are nice and if they have nice bathrooms and the name sounds nice or they have the biggest fees so my friends will think that I am rich if I send my child there – the most important for me is the outcome – what my son will do after he will finish the school.

3. I hope I did not offend anybody and if you have better information please correct me.

Gabriela

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:40 pm 

I agree with all Gabriela's points I believe that anyhow its a personal choice, for me, my problem is that he does not have good grades I mean he is only in KG but behind and when i realized that the school is not registered in the UK or with the Ministry of Education in Egypt and not being monitored by any outside body thats when i started to be concerned about his education so when i was in cairo i had him tested and he is normal no learning difficulties but he is behind in the regular curriculum in cairo or perhaps the curriculum in Cairo is more difficult who knows but the british system is supposed to be a year ahead of the canadian and 2 years ahead of the egyptian according to the papers given to me by the British school when it first opened, but what i have earned is infact the egyptian system is more advanced as they should be reading by year 1 and the what a difference between the books he had last year and the books he should be reading this year.

Who knows perhaps he missed to much school perhaps the level of education is not up to par perhaps a a little of both but I believe that if you have an option to be in cairo then do it if not than find a school that satisfies you in sharm and make the best out of it.

I think as parents anyhow we are never satisfies with every aspect of our children's surroundings but we settle on some and don't settle for others I am not settling on the education portion of my sons life because i have the option to be somewhere else if I didn't then I suppose I would have to accept it.

Of course I know many parents who are very happy with the Sharm College and St Joseph's schools and other that are not so proving my point that is really is personal choice at the end

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:57 pm 

I wanted to post a quick reply to Gabriella to correct one point.
You said that "- Another option for the foreigner students is the “home schooling “school, even if as far as I know, home schooling is accepted just in USA and therefore just for American citizen."

The 'homeshcooling school' (Busy Bees) legally registers it's students with an International American School, located in America. This means that any nationality of child will obtain the legal papers at the end of each grade and an approved and legally recognised High School Diploma when then finish High School, as well as being given the opportunity to take their SAT exams. Whether a child is 'home schooled' or attends an American school, the result is the same.

In fact, this option is more intense and involved than an American school such as St Josephs as it is totally controlled by a real American School to ensure that the entire curriculum is completed to the same standard that an American child should achieve. This means that teachers cannot 'skip' part of the curriculum, cannot give the children answers to exams before the tests as they are sent electronically on the day of the test, and a non native speaker cannot get an 'A' in English despite being unable to speak the language just to keep the parents happy!

I hope that this helps...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:45 pm 
VIP

Sorry, I have no information about your school; I expressed my opinion based on a common sense judgment. Plus, there was a British lady who “made ” a British school in Hurghada and run away with parent’s money after one month, so I do not trust new ideas much. Again , it is a personal oppinion.

So, if I am for example a British student who attends your school which is not registrated with or controlled by Egyptian or British Government , my diploma will be recognized here or in UK ? Where can I go to check the registration of your school ? In the States ? The same question for Egyptian Students.

Thank you,
Gabriela

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:53 pm 

Dear Gabriela
In answer to your question, yes,students receive a diploma recognised anywhere in the world. They can also provide any documentation that a country will require to prove achievements.

The school that we work with is called TLCI (The Learning Community International). You can check out their website at tlci.us.

"The Learning Community International is accredited by the Commission for International and Trans-Regional Accreditation (CITA). CITA is the largest accrediting authority in the United States and is responsible for evaluating and accrediting over 36,000 schools in 100 countries. TLCI is also co-accredited by the Middle States Commission on Elementary Schools (MSCEC) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)."

Egyptian students is a bit different. They are required by law to attend an Egyptian registered school to get the Arabic, Social Studies and Religion qualifications, and they are not allowed to take their SAT's at the testing centre in Egypt. They can attend only if they are registered in and take the exams at an Egyptian school. They don't have to attend the school though if the school agrees. They would get a High School Diploma and GED certificate, but would not be able to attend an Egyptian University. All our students are foreigners because of these issues.

I hope that this helps.
Sally

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:56 am 

for the french school , its according to the french system and they take arabic , english from kg and starts another language "german or italian "by primary . so if u went to any school in egypt not in sharm or cairo only , u wont have a decent education , and kids after graduation wont remember science , math , algebra and these things .
so at least they ll have language .
future is for language and computer , no one works with his school education .
also for the french school parents doesnt have to be speaking the language to enter the kids. i even found parents that doesnt speak french or english and they send their kids there.
the school doesnt give homeworks . they try to take responsiblity of the kids , so kids go home with no worry of homeworks or anything .\
aslo u can take after school hours if any kid have a question or need to stay with a teacher to understand something . until now im so satisfied with it .
also they have exams everymonth that goes to france to evaluate the kids and know how the school system is running and the kids status.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:15 pm 
VIP

Hi Sarah,

Different parenting styles, different opinions. Of course here in Sharm you need just some languages and computer knowledge to find a job as a bellman or guest relation. Still I believe that doctors, pilots need some Science knowledge and so on but never mind.
I will no argue with “No homework” policy of the French School, this is not the place if it is indeed true.
However, I do not understand why you are so happy about it? The students are free of worries after school to do what?
- play in Mercato
- watch TV
- smoke hashish and drink alcohol from the age of 9 in Mercato or other places
- play computer games, watch porn and chat on Internet till 6 o clock in the morning (no problem , they will get computer skills)
- go in pubs and clubs
- drive cars on the public roads since the age of 9
- go with their parents to adult’s parties till 3 am even in schooldays , because their parents do not believe in babysitters
- use more powerful drugs
- And so on.
Yes, why to research on the internet for a project in school? We as parents pay money to the schools to have no headache at home :D .
Again, different parents have different opinions. But I personally disagree with you 100 %.In my opinion the best play is using a pen, even if the child is very young.Sports and a healthy diet are expensive and difficult things to provide and supervise but better than what I mentioned above that students do in their free time.
It is good to know that the French School offers a homework free option, with accent on languages and computers and their tests are corrected abroad. Many parents may be interested mainly in that kind of things.
And for sure the school receives children even the parents do not know the language, what I said was that it is not the best idea in my oppinion.
Gabriela

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:04 pm 

Im sorry gaberilla

as im a muslim mom , my kids wont be smoking or taking drugs or hasheish at 9 or ever and ofcourse no alchohol.

my kids go to do sports thats what they need i cant let them use the pen all day 5 days a week till they sleep , they are kids and need time to play and explore with out any pressure .
THEY ARE KIDS , that needs to feel free .
having a kid that is studing 24/7 is a mess he wont become a pilot or doctor cause now anyone can be a doctor or a scientist even but they must be special inorder to be the best .also school material never is used again after school is finished
if u want to be anything its all from collage material and studies not from school and i dare you if u even remember anything from what you have taken in school.

also sports are soo important and it makes kids give out all their energy that what will make them get away from anything wrong .

ALSO IM TELLING YOU FROM my experience as my life and my brother and all my cousins that were busy with sports and arts and things like that , it doesnt have to be study or drugs and porn or even innocent tv.
IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PARENTS
if th parents do drugs and alcohol for sure their kids will do it .

and for me my kids wont drive car until 18 years
so u just need to take care when u tall so u wont hurt anybodys feeling
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:06 pm 
VIP

Hi Sarah,

Sarah,

I am sorry if I have offended you , this was not my intention.I talk in generall not about you and your children. But this is the sad reality in Sharm and believe me, I know what I am talking about.
As for the knowledge , I still believe that it is very important. But again, we can not have all the same ideas and goals in life.But homework, as any work in generall , must be a part of our life and our children's life , no matter how much money we have or not.
Again, sorry for upseting you but your post was too funny for me not to respond.

Gabriela

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:07 pm 

hi,
i just read again what i wrote and dont know what could be so funny that made u response like that .........
i find it not funny at all

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:13 pm 
VIP

I am just a Pro – homework parent. And I end up registering my son in Sharm El Sheikh College :D . They seem well organized, clean, and able to keep their teachers from one year to another – which means good management. Any experiences with Sharm College ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:18 pm 

We all have our different opinions about which school and their idea of what is right and our opinion of what is right, as parents we are the ones who have to lead our children in the right direction and work along with the school.
All of the schools have their negative and positive points, British school no arabic and if wanted have to subject your child to longer days and more money than what they are already charging.
Sharm college and I am sure other schools hire teachers without qualifications along side those who have, so its hit and miss but dont get me wrong, being a good teacher yes it is good to have the correct qualifications but also you learn from doing and some of the best teachers I know are those who have come into the job without previous qualifications, and had a great working repore with kids and apply their knowledge to the situation, a creative mind is always good especially in the KG department.

Do what you think is best and chose the school you want don't fight about this school is better than yours, social skills and parental teaching is also a good foundation to a happy content and successful adult.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:44 am 
VIP

I agree. After 3 years spent inside a school I can say the same: teachers without qualifications can be much better – and specific knowledge and qualifications can be obtain now in time online or inside the school. Teaching isn’t rock science –it takes knowledge that you get in a good school and if you are gifted and willing to dedicate yourself to this challenging job you can have great results. And I am sorry if I am being political incorrect or something – but I personally prefer a foreigner – no matter the nationality even without qualification – to an Egyptian teacher. Because like this I am sure that the teacher will use 90 percent of the time not 60, will not use physical punishments , call names and shout, lie to the parents , put accent on memorization instead of critical thinking, not try to push the student to ask for private lessons even when not needed etc. Of course there are good aspects in Egyptian school mentality: the teachers will never discuss in class sex, religion (unless a Religion class), Palestine will be discussed never Israel, no teenager’s problems, relationships between boys and girls discouraged etc but for me those things are not so important. I am happy if the school chooses to hire more foreigners – this means that they are willing to pay more money for a better quality.
However – when it comes to Arabic, it is a very difficult language that it cannot be covered just by private lessons. Be aware that in schools they are teaching standard Arabic- which is different from Egyptian spoken Arabic (or colloquial Arabic). I have a background of 7 languages but Arabic is definitely the most difficult as it feels like you learn 2 languages instead of one, different alphabet etc. The grammar is very difficult – not all the Arabs master Arabic!
Sorry again if I offended anybody, this is my opinion as a parent and a foreigner one. But we all have different goals in life for us and for our children and I agree with Ninky “social skills and parental teaching is also a good foundation to a happy content and successful adult”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:11 am 

hi to all mother,

as i can c we have all the same concern of scoule and all worry about futur of our kids....
my son will start in st joseph scoule this month.....he his just 4, and of course i am worry as a mother :) but all be ok, and i hope he gonna be happy there. i found this scoule ok for him, he went to visit, and enjoy it. so ....... we could never be sure that it will be exactly what our child need.....be not alote of other option.
anyway, i want to say something i agree with gabriela, i have the same idea of teaching, children should have home work, and we should folow them! do home work with them, help and work with them.
for the language, i dont know realy, i feel strange when people send them to frensh or english scoule and they do not understand, how they folow the study...i dont know....(but language are good of course)

and i am sorry sarah, i dont not agree....
i know a great familly egyptien familly muslim and other religion and nationality...didnt make any difference, who realy car of childs. and just go wrong!!!
u belive all ur care and education gonna make ur child great? i dont belive so,
we do our best for sure, but in a age its out of our hand....muslim or not. and any nationality........
they can be in drogs and drink and smoke.......have a look around :)
and for home work :) can be good if u try to review home work with ur child :) to inprove ur frensh ( JOCK OF COURSE :) )and folow what they do....

anyway wish all a good day, and wish all the best for our childrens...to start a good new year of scoule.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm 
VIP

After one month of school in KG1 IN Sharm College, I am pleased to say that I am impressed! I just assessed my son in English and Arabic and I must say that they are doing a great job. I started the year with the idea that anyway I will work with him at home and he has time till primary one to learn to read and write but he already knows so many things that for sure they have a good system and dedicated staff.
Well organised, kind and helpfull, I have managed to communicate very well as parent with them.
And the books are new and with CD-s , really, if all the school is like the KG department, we still have a hope in Sharm!