[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
www.sharmwomen.com • View topic - Rights of a non Egyptian married to Egyptian
It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:15 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Rights of a non Egyptian married to Egyptian
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:38 pm 
VIP

There are so many ladies involved with Egyptian men and plannng on getting married and it would be nice to know some of the legal issues that they will face throughout the years.
So my first question is for the majority.
In Egypt, if the Egyptian husband should die, I understand that a non muslim can not inherit from her husband. That only the children can inherit as they would be muslim by birth.
Is this true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:24 pm 

Actually the answer is yes. It is true.

The point is that the Egyptian legal system is adopting the latin system, which is the system used in France and some other countries.

When it comes to Family Law, which is the exception to the previous statement, Egypt adopts the Islamic rules as a part of the law.

Since Islamic rules state that Muslims and non Muslims cannot inherit each other, this principle was adopted in the Egyptian family law, and became a part of it.

It is true also that kids will be granted the right to inherit the Muslim father, for gathering between both facts being his children and being Muslims by birth.

Thanks for shedding light on this issue, I'm also sure that a lot of foreigners who are married / going to marry Egyptians would be interested to know it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:59 am 
VIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:43 pm 
VIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:15 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:34 pm 

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:35 pm 

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:51 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 pm 

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:01 am 

Post subject: Repeat Question sorry
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:51 pm 

Post subject: Re: Repeat Question sorry
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:16 pm 

Post subject: Re: Rights of a non Egyptian married to Egyptian
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:49 pm 

Hi,

I am recently following this subject on the forum and have some questions 2:
I am still christian and was this 2 in the time that we get married so

1. Do I need 2 registrate it somewhere if I convert?
2. If I (a foreigner women non-moslim) convert now 2 islam, will I inherit when my husband will suddenly die?
3. If i will be a moslim can they take my children in case of sudden death or divorce? what/which rights do I have ?
4. If I convert 2 islam in my own country (europe) is it legal in Egypt, what i mean is do they recognise the certificate?

Many thanks for your answer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:05 am 

Is this forum still ACTIVE???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:03 pm 
VIP

Hi, I am not a lawyer but anyway unfortunately here the lawyers that I went to gave me mixed answers (I still do not know if because they do not know the laws and are lazy to look for the answers to my questions or have bad intentions) my information till now are as follow (and maybe Zeyad will answer to you better later):

2. If you become Muslim will inherit your husband but the question is how much? Depends on if you have children together, if he already has children, depending on if you have boys or daughters and so on. The law is very complicated and sometimes to the enharitage come parents, brothers, uncles and so on. So you can get around 1/8 , maybe more or less, depending on the case. I stopped even trying to find out in my case; anyway I am not Muslim so I will get nothing.
Also it is common here the men to take wives in secret so you can have a surprise - another wife and 3 children to come to the inheritance.
So my advice - TAKE CARE TO HAVE THINGS WRITTEN ON YOUR NAME, accounts on your name, etc. Like this you will be protected in case of death, divorce, etc.And also you will check the good faith of your husband and his intentions when he is still alive. After all, your husband should care what happens to you if he dies, right?
3. If you will be Muslim nobody will take the children from you in case of death as far as I know. In case of divorce, it is a little more complicated, for example if you get marry again he can take the children from you. When you go to court many factors can be involved.Anyway, you can not take the children out of the country if he does not want .
1, 4 - If you will become Muslim you will take a certificate from Al Azhar I think - ask in the mosque where you will get cnvert it - your husband will be pleased to help you with this for sure, and better to do it here. Even if they will give you a certificate from your country must be translated in Arabic....etc I personally I am so tired to translate documents and stamped in 10 places, going to my embassy etc that I take the easiest way now. (Thank God I took Egyptian citizenship beside mine and I do not care anymore...)
I hope it helps you to have an idea, if somebody has more accurate information will correct me.
Gabriela

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:13 pm 

Dear Gabriela,

Many thanks for your reply, i already know ofcourse the things that you wrote but i would like to have a clear answer from Mr. Zeiad if possible.
We have 1 child toghter i just want to know exactly what my rights are as a non-moslim and as a moslim so i can decide if i will convert. What i know is that as a non-moslim you don't have any rights so i will do anything to protect me and my child in case of sudden death or divorce.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:52 pm 
VIP

Hi,
in this case you must write to him if you have a boy or a girl, if your husband's parents are still alive, how many brothers and sisters etc and maybe he will answer.
I think that changing the religion is a big decision and it should'nt be done for materialistic purpuses - but this is just my opinion. There are other ways to secure your future, as I suggested you.Do not count much on the law - the system is so slow and complicated that a lot of Egyptian women Muslim have problems in case of death/ divorce.
Good luck anyway - it is great that you think about it - most women here do not care about the future and many have a lot of problems.

Gabriela

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:47 pm 
VIP

Read also the topic about Western converted wife.There are some information there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:19 pm 

Dear Gabriela,

Many thanks, i will go and read that part 2 and i will send Mr. Zeiad a mail.

I think you are the only one who's still alive on this forum lol :)))
It's really nice to know there's a place where we can discuss those things

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:41 pm 

Just convert to a muslim and eat bacon in private, job done

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:42 am 

Hallo Smiler,

not sure that (such a) Conversion means an hidden Breackfast only.

Take Care.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:43 pm 
VIP

Bacon ? Yak! I do not drink alcohol for 10 years , long before I met my husband , and I am a vegetarian but to change my religion - hm. You are a funny guy and I guess not so shallow that you want to appear , but try to cut on Pork it is not healthy anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:01 am 

Hello Gabriela, I agree with Vegetarianism (for a couple of Reasons) but: why do you say "Pork is not healthy anyway"? Do you believe in such a Propaganda? (...)

Porks/Pigs were used as sacrifical Gift to God(s), therefore eating their Meat was forbidden (to Humans). It was isn't unhealthy per se.

It was forbidden to Humans, therefore People had not to eat it. I think here you might find some References: http://books.google.ch/books?id=Bhu9UDf ... &q&f=false

Take Care and kindes Regards.