It is currently Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:39 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Locals Not Liking Foreigners Working in Sharm
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:51 am 

To the person complaining on the pin board bout Foreigners working in Sharm El Sheikh:
1) Most foreign people working here are doing so legally and they do have their businesses registered and they have work permits. There are, of course some that do not, but most are legal

2) There is a need for foreign and Lady Only taxi drivers here, for the Ex pats that live here and for the tourists. This is because there are so many taxi drivers that are bad to their customers. I have heard many stories of women especially being harassed, touched and locked in taxis. perhaps if the Egyptian Taxi drivers behaved with respect then there would be no need for foreign taxi drivers too. But there is, sad but TOO TRUE

3) It is the foreigners here that spend money, giving the Egyptians the opportunity to have jobs in Sharm in the first place. Without foreigners living here and coming for a holiday there would be no Sharm and you would not be making the good income you are lucky to make here.

Instead of complaining, why don't you try to educate your fellow countrymen on how to respect foreigners, how to work well along side them and try to embrace the opportunity's they bring to this country, especially to Sharm.

Dont whinge, do something positive for all of us.

Post subject: Re: Locals Not Liking Foreigners Working in Sharm
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:46 pm 

Being an european girl in Sharm I have also had bad experience with taxidrivers, BUT it is important to report incidents when they occur. I went to the police in Naama after being harassed by egyptian driver and it was taken very serious. All police was looking for the car and in the evening the same day he was caught and is no longer in Sharm. There are plenty of good Egyptian taxi drivers who are doing their best to make money for their family. Yes, they have a job because of us foreigners visiting/living here, my personal opinion is that we should support the egyptians. If a driver is doing a good job the word about this will go around :D And so many egyptians are embarrassed from the fellow countrymen who are abusive to foreign women. So if something happends to you
make sure to report it!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:07 am 

Kathy, I agree with you.
Every incident should be reported, and for sure good taxi drivers make a name for them selves and their number gets passed around so its good for business but sadly there are still too many unsavory ones too.
When I refused a taxi today in Hadaba (I was getting into my car LOL) I was very nastily hissed at, what's that about?
I live here very much because I love the Egyptian people, it is a pity these unsavory drivers bring the good people down. Its a small percentage but they have a big impact in a small town.
I hope it can change soon by everyone reporting to the police as you did.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:00 am 
Site Admin

The following comment was posted on the Pin Board!!
Please note any further comments on the PB reference this issue will not be published!

by European:
I do not want to make this Pin Board a board of discussions, but i could not resist of commenting the post of Ashraf.
Unfortunately egyptian drivers are REALLY dangerous. They are not driving, they are flying, also with mobile telephones in the hand which is proibited in other countries. And their behaviour is disgusting. As soon as we enter they swich on music full volume and take a sigarette. Many times when I gently asked not to smoke they send me out of taxi.
Also about fixing things in the houses. Egyptians are not punktual, they ask not not true, too high prices thinking that we can not check a real price and their work often is done bad.
So.
Europeans are more then welkome. Please advert your services more. We really need professionals here.
Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:49 pm 

i totally agree. my wife has been touched on the leg by a taxi driver. and why should we risk our lives getting into a car with a driver who speeds, drives like a maniac. how rude it is to be in a taxi and they put their music up so loud you cant hear yourself think. i have passed many crashes on peace road and most of them are taxis.
if an englishman complained about an egyptian getting a job in the uk he would be called a racist.

so yes, i would prefer to be in a car with a european driver who drives carefully, does not smoke, play loud music or text whilst he is driving. anyone who sees this can report it as it is illegal.
and on another point, taxis are supposed to, by law have thier meters on. you can report them if they dont and they get fined 300le.

if we all did it then prices would maybe come down.