It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:14 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: international opinion of sharm
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:36 pm 

When reading holiday reviews from different hotels, the amount of complaints and bad reviews are on the increase. Both about the hotels and sharm its self. This effects the life and trade in sharm, as tourists are getting a pre bad opinion of us. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com holidaywatchdog.com realholidayreports.com and stgeorgehotelsharm.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: international opinion of sharm
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:44 am 

i have been working with tourists in sharm for over 10 years, and have noticed the change in them. i think over pushy sellers, tardy pickups and the lack of care and consideration that a lot of sharmers and egyptians show them is to blame for the reduction in their spending. alot now aren't leaving the hotels and end up taking their money home with them. we are all being effected financially.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:25 pm 

I hate to say it but many people (not all- Ihasten to add!) have brought this problem on themselves. Many traders seem to be trying to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible without thinking of the long term effects.
Take a typical trip to sharm, if you try to get a taxi from the airport the taxi drivers won't accept less than 200le to Naama, even following a huge arguement the lowest price I was offered was 70le, needless to say I got the bus.
Once here you go for a meal out, often to a restaurant with no price list so the bill is totally random based on what they think they can get away with. You follow your meal with a walk through Naama and get nothing but hassle, anything you buy is likely to be marked up by at least 200%. Then you get the guarranteed traveller's tummy so you head off to the Pharmacy where they seem to charge you 30euros for anything you get (usually without a box) even though the actual cost should have been 3le. Oh and then as a woman you have to deal with the constant leering, marriage proposals and general abuse. Is it suprising people are getting wise and staying in their hotel?
I live here and the constant arguing drives me insane, its certainly not the way to have a relaxing holiday.
Having said that I know there are very ethical people out there who do charge the correct price and treat others with respect but they are in the minority.
Perhaps before Ramadan finishes it is the opportunity to ask people to really consider what it is they are doing and start to make a change.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:30 am 

i am not suprised my business is doing so bad. with the reviews that tourists are making we will be lucky if the resort doesnt close. if it was me going somewhere new, and i had read these reviews, i wouldnt go. i think the goverment should get stricter on viasa's, working permits and business licences for sharm, to try and stop the people who are creating the problem - as it will only be a minority.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:09 am 

Have checked out the sites you mentioned.
stgeorgehotelsharm.blogspot.com
is this the three corners hotel at hadaba??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm 

i think unless us in sharm change our ways, we wont have a community left. the fewer tourist that come here, the less income for all of us.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:08 pm 
VIP

I understand and share your concern, but airplanes are landing here every two minutes and all the hotels are full. Yes, the tourists tend to spend less money outside the hotels, but the international economic crisis changed the behavior of people in spending all over the world. I think everybody tries to cut off on their expenses when nothing is certain anymore and the future can bring problems.
If there are complains in some hotels, that is the business of the hotel- the tourists will choose a different hotel next time. Plus, for any problem, there are policemen and security in every hotel and everywhere tourist police so very few people even dare to think to attack or harass somebody. You all know how easy is here to fire somebody or even to send him home.
Anyway people who read this forum are fully aware of that aspect so I do not see the point of discussing it here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 pm 
VIP

unfortunately I think many people are not aware of the rude and impolite behavior taking over.

I do not know how it can be implemented outside, but for sure in the hotels, some etiquette course should be taught. Awareness is also important. For many of the workers the attitude seems to be: How can I f..k the tourist best.
There is no respect for the ones bringing the money anymore.

It is unfortunately sad how Sharm is developing.
Education needs to take place.
I understand there are some EU funded projects to train staff.
I just do not know where those training facilities are...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:57 am 

That is sad to hear :(. I hope with high values, my determination to stick to it, and with God by my side I can instill some difference, if not in other people, in myself and my effect on guests when I am there for work.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:14 pm 

I personally think from experience the problem is the younger Egyptians. I was with my husband (Egyptian) and Im a blonde, many younger Egyptians around 9 of them started making rude comments to me even though my husband was there, asking me for sex etc we were in Old Market my husband was holding my hand right next to me at the time!!!. I do not dress like a tart, Im a nikes n baggy hoodie girl, and I have been with my husband 6 years. My husband found it totally disrespectful we are both 31 (hes very old school when it comes to ways to behave). The younger Egyptians were around 18-20. They then tried to tell my husband they will call police because he was with a 'foreigner' my husband said good do it - this is my wife. Then the younger Egyptians started to remove there shirts and tried to start a fight with my husband. Tourists practically ran away from the area. Waiters from a cafe we regularly visit ended up grabbing the younger youths and telling them to leave or the police will come.

Then, a few nights later in Hadaba in a cafe on the cliff we were approached by a different group of younger Egyptian around 21 - who offered us his bed for an hour for 100le! My husband was totally disgusted and started shouting, then a group of them appeared, again very angry and hostile, luckily the tourist police started comming over and the youths run off.

In Naama bay, a guy tried to get us in his shop I said no Thanks - his response was to scream 'Well F**k you'.

I was standing in Nabq waiting for my husband on the main rd when 3 Egyptian started filming me on there mobiles. I turned my back to them and called my hubby. I was dressed in trousers and shirt as I was a manager in a hotel. My husband pulled up in a car with his friend and they managed to delete the video as they threatened them with the police

A pregnant friend walking to work in Nabq, had her bum grabbed by a young Egyptian hotel waiter just walking down the street. Luckily he was wearing a uniform and a taxi driver saw it take place and got the police.

My husband is from Old Egypt where respect to fellow man is still strong, even he is disgusted when he sees younger Egyptians acting this way, as he knows it will not be the way there parents have brought them up. And, if there parents knew there would be big problems. When we are together n younger men make comments at me, or stare it really upsets my husband as this is not how Sharm was 8 years ago, and it is not the country he grew up in, and it is not 'Egyptian'.

Bosses want as much money as possible, they hire young staff for lower wage costs. These young staff members do not behave how they would at home. And they do not treat tourists or residents with respect. They are rude, pushy, aggressive, and some sexually harass, and they do not understand the word no. The older Egyptians are fun and understand the word no - with there ''Asda price'' comments etc.

From my experience in the last 6 years in Sharm - Traditional Egyptians are fantastic people and make fantastic friends. BUT they need to look at the staff they hire, they also need to take responsibility as being teachers to the younger ones. You get what you pay for Im afraid. I know many shop owners that have left because they do not like how Sharm has turned a dark corner. Maybe a working age limit for Sharm might help? Action needs to be taken and fast. Staff should be registered via there employer then maybe the employer register them at El Tour. Then work on a 3 strikes and your out. Although, we have no police so who can tourists go to? Who can residents turn too now? Egyptians are fantastic people, but many bad are getting through the check points with no one regulating them.

Jus my opinion based on personal experience, not all yng r bad or rude. But from my experience its always been younger staff.