[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
www.sharmwomen.com • View topic - Egyptian Society
It is currently Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:42 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:14 pm 
VIP

Post subject: Marriages With Egyptians.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:09 pm 
VIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:47 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:10 pm 
VIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:29 pm 

Let?s not make a mountain out of a mowhill.
Chris, I don?t see how you went from a single closure of Bedouin nights to a headline News like style ?collective punishment of the Bedouins?. You even went to such exteme to compare them to the Native Indians & their reservation. Let?s be careful! Someone might get the wrong impression that the Bedouins are a persecuted specie and sufferred an ethnic cleansing at the hand of the Egyptians.
First of all, the Bedouins are not Shamanists/animists who connect the land to their soul. The Majority of them do happily mix with their Egyptian compatriots. They are Nomads and by their life-style nature, they either have their land encroached on or they encroach on others? land too. Some of them lead a sedentary life too.
It will be a shame if someone form an opinion about Bedouins from a disgruntled old Taxi driver who is about to loose his license for his old Peugeot 504, while still nostalgic about the high salary he used to get from the IDF (Israeli Defence Foce) as an informant/traitor. Or, from the few Bedouins who blame their plight on the nouveaux-Riches from other parts of the country (similar to what happened in East & West Berlin or Stuttgart & Munich).
The Touareg in the Sahara Desert (Mauritania, Algeria, Niger, Tchad, Mali & Libya), and the Masai in Kenya all share the same life style. In Egypt, none of them suffer the fate of the Ugyars in Western China or the Bedouins of the Negev desert where their land gets confiscated by the Israeli settlers-backed by a racist and Apartheid government.
In my experience, the Egyptian police are just doing their job to address the problems of drugs and arms trafficking. If the area happens to be in a Bedouin area, that?s more of a coincidence rather than pre-meditated plan to hassle the Bedouins. Funnily, I haven?t seen anyone complaining about the strict check points at the entrance of the Sinai, before Ahmed Hamdi tunnel. I haven?t seen anyone complaining about the tight security in hotels, Old market and Naama Bay entrance.

Since I don?t have my head all the time stuck underwater for snorkeling or diving, or my lips glued to beer glasses at Papas Tavern, and since I take the time to mix with the locals, my observations are that some Bedouins are happy business owners and go about their everyday business & life like every other Egyptian. I meet and see all Egyptians together in a coffee shop, a restaurant or a bus where there is no segregation between the Bedouin, Saaydi, Ismaili, Mansouri, Doumyati, Nubi?etc.

Poverty is all over Egypt (and all over the world):
Try to make a detour away from the main highways (Agricultural, Desert or International Roads=Tarik El Sahrawi, Ziraae or Douwali) and you will see what I mean.
If Siwa or Marsa Matrouh is a poor area, does that mean that the government is ANTI the local Berbers & Awlad Ali (Ali Sons from Libya)?
Yes, Sinai has world-famous resort towns such as Sharm El Sheikh and wealth should have been distributed more evenly among the population. Unfortunately, this is a constant national challenge Egypt is faced with, despite its well-intentioned economic & social efforts. It would also help if Sharm residents (& us Foreigners!) roll up their sleeves and help the Bedouins to help themselves either in irrigation systems for agriculture, volunteenring work in schools and health clinic, or take Bedouin-organised trips & tours to the amazing desert and with their legendary hospitality- as a symbol of caring & sharing.

Love to you all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:52 pm 
VIP

I am amazed what was put into my post... this thread is old, but I briefly went through it again.

I do not know about the Ugyars in Western China or the Bedouins of the Negev ... but I know the bedouins are discrimenated in Sinai ... and also their land had been taken. We are not talking about one single bedouin dinner, where did you get this from?

I have the impression that the socializing with the Egyptian (if we may call the non Egyptian bedouins like that) is one out of interest, but defintely not because they like each other so much... sorry, my opinion.

I appreciate all your recent posts and being so moderate, but I do not really understand what you would like to tell me? Is it one happy family?

Socialize a bit with the bedouins in Sinai and you will see for yourself (permitting you are non-Egyptian) ... forced into a life they did definitely not choose (as you said they used to be nomads). Just a few bedouins run businesses here, but many just hang around without really another choice...

This subject would be worse to be much bigger than any mountain than just being negleted as non-existent...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:56 pm 
VIP

something to add... I wrote permitting you are non-Egyptian as I think it is very difficult for anybody to get closer to the bedouins, and I think for Egyptians it is even more difficult.