[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
www.sharmwomen.com • View topic - Warning for Women in Sharm
It is currently Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:06 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Warning for Women in Sharm
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:07 am 

Post subject: A similar situation
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:16 pm 

The day before yesterday (18/10/2007) a similar thing happened to me but this was as I was crossing the road outside metro to get to the flower shop, and had my baby with me in her pushchair I was shocked and could not believe what happened especially as I had my child with me.

Also last december when my mum came for the birth of my child she was walking at the back of Metro again in broad day light but a silly place to be I know when alone, but anyway she was almost rugby tackled to the ground by a young man but she managed to keep on her feet and start screaming at him, which eventually made him run off.

At the end of the day this is a city were there are many foreigners living and visiting and there should be a better system with the police for these sort of incerdents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:17 pm 

The above message is not mickey, I am a friend and ment to post a reply as a guest but it came under her name, Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Guests can not reply on the forum, unless for the Open Letter to Metro, which is out right now. You have to be registered as otherwise the spam posts get just too much.

Anyhow as Mickey's friend it worked fine :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:10 am 

Post subject: lets talk clearly
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:53 pm 

to the forign ladies ,
why you always complain about egypt and egyptian people lets talk about your countries and where you come from your cities are like any other cities in the world you have crimes in the street and every where !
you have harresment which could happen with any one !
maybe more god only knows so please show some grateful to city you live into work in and you married from say some nice things abourt this city dont always come and scream and cry thats is full of shit i dont think so if its like that you wouldnt leave your country and come to live over here .

stop being greedy i feel pitty that the majorty of you like that and frankly if you love your city you wouldnt leave any way and it means only one thing
stop coomplaining if you dislike just leave it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:35 pm 
VIP

Hmmm I would love to comment on this post but I will stop myself... It?s not worth to go in another bad discussion again. I will say only this? we are living in Sharm so if we have some comments or anything to say we will talk about Egypt and Egyptian not about Italy or England or any other country, right? And one thing more?the way that man treats and watch women on the streets, supermarkets ?can not compare to any other European country. If you would get touched from taxi driver, I don?t think you would like it as well.
And all this doesn?t mean that we don?t like Egypt!! It means we don?t like to be touched by strangers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:23 pm 
VIP

well... I can only agree with Ursha.

How can you, Nogamimi, excuse such an incident? By the way we do not all come from New York, London or other big cities with high crime rate.
And as Ursha said I do not think anybody there would touch you on your breast.

I think Nogamimi you should reconsider your post... this post was not criticizing Egypt or the Egyptians at all... I think we have to name the facts and should not just glorify as you wish us to do...

By the way I assume you are also not born in Sharm, but left your home town. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:38 pm 

I can say only that I'm here since 3 years and this problem became worth and worth. In the beginning I could go alone to the public beach at the cliff, but now, forget it. They don't even respect when I'm going with my (egyptian) husband. They are sitting on the rocks like dogs. I'm really afraid to go alone with my little daughter. I prefer going to any hotel beach in Maya Bay and pay a small entrance fee and I completely avoid Friday's for taking days off, since you cannot move anywhere without being watched.
Forget about the police, once I saw that they took around 30 people from the cliff and after 1 hour they came back and it was the same, it is only for keeping a certain image.

I have only few words for these peepers: "Live what you preach!".

"In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope.In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort.In a world filled with despair,we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:48 am 
VIP

What you were wearing when you were attacked ? Because if they start to attack women decent dressed then is a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:03 pm 

What is this for a question? shorts and jogging shirt are excuses for sexual harassment? Even she jogged naked, nobody has to touch her, there should be no doubt about.

"In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope.In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort.In a world filled with despair,we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:16 pm 
VIP

Yes but I hade the same problems in Cairo when I was wearing tide jeans and dresses without any sleeves.
And what is easier - to alert all Sharm,s police, make education for workers who dont even know how to read or to write and so on or to jogg a little more cover? The effect of exercise will be more intense...and maybe we can avoid beeing raped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:10 pm 
VIP

I think the discussion gets more weird.

I had an Egyptian friend walking in Alex with shorts. When me, being a bit astonished about it, asked how she could do that, she answered."If we (Egyptians) do not do it how will they ever get used to it?"

Sharm had by the way always been different to Cairo or the rest as to dressing. Also for Egyptian girls it is the place to walk and dress freely, similar like some resorts on the north coast. And why should they not have that right too?

I think respect is fine, but sometimes it goes too far...

And this dressing issue has nothing to do with being touched. They will touch any blond long hair girl, just for looking different. Should she therefore cover her hair?

I think some foreigners get more Egyptian with their opinions than the Egyptians. This is actually what I heard very often from Egyptians...
I do not like to classify, and do not know why this discussion went in this direction.

Touching has to be condemned, no matter of anything. The uneducated should get educated.. That's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:45 pm 
VIP

I dont think someone will touch a sweat lady in a sexy way...
About beeing more egyptian then egyptians ....I hade problems like this in Paris and in Salzburg , so sexy clothing will ever atract bad behavior from men.If you choose to dress like this you must accept the consequences.
The question is ALL women are in danger in Hadaba now or just if they are jogging open somehow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:20 am 

Dear Ladies,

Sexual harassment is worldwide problem, it is not related to specific regions or cultures and it makes no difference if you?re covered from head to toe or dressed in a sexy way. Women all around the world face this problem.

Sharm is special city, it?s a mixture of European and Arab cultures, therefore we?re bound to have some cultural clashes, it?s only normal. So there?s no need for name calling or to call Egyptian men ?dogs?. I agree that they watch women, both Egyptian and Foreign by the way, and I know that it?s annoying; it makes us feel threatened and unsafe.

I do not have a solution for the problem, but I suggest the following:

1-Avoid public beaches, if possible. If not go early in the morning.
2-When jogging try to find a partner, it?s more fun.
3-Dress in whatever makes you comfortable as long as it?s not too sexy.
4-Carry self-defense spray.
5-If some one attacks you, push the attacker and scream at the top of your lungs, this will definitely scare the attacker and will get you help, no matter what time it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:21 pm 

I Know I swore I would never ever write again in this forum BUT this topic is an important one and AS USUAL I have my opinions :lol:

It is always odd how one topic or another always leads to different directions which is always very interesting...

its nice to reminisce about what use to be I mean really the god old days are exactly that the good OLD days and I think its really irrelevant to ponder in the past when we should be looking how to make it better for now and the future I mean really what Mia wrote although the intention was good it was a bit rude and then nagomimi answered perhaps because she or he is Egyptian we picked on her.. but she / he is right in a way Why do we expect more of Egypt than we expect in our own countries rape, sexual harassment, peeping toms, murderers etc... have been there for as long as I remember so why are we so shocked that it starts to happen here.

Someone mentioned it?s a Muslim country and they should practice what they preach but do catholic or Christian men and women practice what they preach not even some catholic priests manage to do that so we shouldn't set double standards and do you think that the foreigners that first came are the same as the 1000's of new ??? of course not. People change places change nothing is meant to stay the same and with the good comes the bad so we have to start making changes which will help us, neighbourhood watches or set jogging times so theres more people around?? ANYTHING but lets do it instead of just talking about it. We need to find a safer solution that doesn't include jogging in a hegab :lol:

Post subject: Friend of Mickey
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:28 pm 

Why do discussions like this always go to be the womens fault by what they are wearing it should not matter, I was wearing a t shirt with sleeves and a pair of jogging bottoms (trousers) not sexy at all and to add to that I had a 10 month old baby in the pram with me which should be even more of a deterant.

Today I had another incedent in Aida two guys were walking behind me taking photos of me without my permission, and of my backside, I knew they were up to something but was not sure then he tried to take a picture of my face as he was walking with his telephone so I shouted at him, why? what do they get from this? its so rediculous, and yes it does happen everywhere, but personally it has only happened to me in Sharm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:52 pm 
VIP

Nobody says that is women,s fault.We should wear whatever we like and nobody should touch us .But the problem now is how to defend ourselves.
About looks - I never ever look to the straingers so I never see (or care) what they are doing to be bother.Even women with higab if they are beautiful will receive "that look".
My husband doesnt ever let me alone in the house with any kind of workers for the safety reasons so I think he knows better....
We can find here to buy spray for defense ? What about guns ? Is it difficult for a foregner to take a gun permitt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:32 am 

It is definatly not the womens fault but I think we have to be realistic we are dealing now with more and more laborers that come from villages farther than the next and as Sharm continues to expand it will get worse and i dought that we will be able to change that what we need to do is find away to feel safe before it gets worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:12 pm 

Hi!

A lot of women live here in Sharm since a loong time. Some are married here and some are not. When we came here Sharm was a very peaceful and safe place with hardly any crimes happening. Is it wrong to choose a place like that because it is different from where we originate?

Sharm/Sinai is still a beautiful place! :D

With the development of the "City of Peace" it was clear that quite a few things will change - some for the better, but also some for the worse...

...we ALL have to grow with the changes!!!

But it makes me wonder where that development of crime and harassment will lead to? I question myself if we have to just accept it or if we can take action against it? At least to minimize it. Do we have to go away and leave this beautiful place because times have changed?

I am a foreign woman and I have been harassed. :oops:
I know a foreign woman that has been assaulted. :(

I just like Sharm and want it to be a safe place for ALL!!!

So, is there actually something we can do, apart from buying a burgler alarm, dressing in a hegab and carrying a pepper spray?
(Sorry, but I sincerely hope nobody gets permission for a gun!!?!!)

SUNNY GREETINGS

KRIS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:01 am 

By the way Egyptian women get harassed as well, it?s not a matter of nationality it?s a matter of gender. (Hijab does not help)

Post subject: 100% Egyptian
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:05 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:07 pm 
VIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:08 pm 

Post subject: harassement
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:59 am