[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
www.sharmwomen.com • View topic - Sharm Women's Club
It is currently Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:34 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Sharm Women's Club
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:51 pm 
VIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:05 am 
VIP

:) Tupperware should be so thankful, except so we know now they do not exist any more.

Why frustration, ladies? I do not see anything so frustrating or so wrong with SWC... though am not so connected yet of course.
To heal your aching souls I must perhaps clarify that my unfortunate Tupperware sting was mostly initiated from another "sting" by the very reverend Chris here ;) who commented something on (I think) my posts about BEAUTY services... so with great inner enjoyment I took this piece of comment trusted to me and used it . See???
But it was meant half-humorously of course, my nails are simply too short&brittle for any serious woman-to-woman action. And I think I even explained in the same post that I very well understand that it is difficult to find subjects for meetings that would be so universally interesting that indeed every Sharm woman would attend.

And yet there are perhaps also women who would also like to not simply meet&chat but also achieve something noticeable, make a change... this sort of people. For example I would have thought that SWC works much more with the local officials (if they are cooperation-minded?) either to help promote Egypt in Sharm for tourists, or get info about economic, legislative etc developments that might be interesting to the resident community here.

About SWC party... well (1) a human being is lazy by definition. If she can postpone something she will, the few who differ get promoted into top management. Thus normally any event requires lasting encouragement & updates (=promotion) while the deadline approaches. I would even suspect that people who come to live to Sharm because they appreciate the environment here, are not Rolodex people. I know I am not - I hate to make plans ahead and to be bound by promises or schedules. It does not make the life of organisers any easier but simply - that is the material we probably have to "work" with :)

(2) I do not know what the income levels for people here are, maybe upwards of 100LE plus taxi costs are too high for some for regular dinners or for example middle-of month spending. Need to know what date is the payday in Sharm :)

(3) Costume party is pretty demanding for those whose main problem is not how to pass time but how to find a moment for sitting down and doing nothing. I am speaking for fresh mothers here foremostly, and also people who have more demanding jobs, jobs combined with families etc. - a normal burdened woman's chores :). A lot simply ignored the need for costume, but some may have been intimidated as well. I clearly remember the disappointment in Doro's eyes when our group in simple clothes turned up and I am so very sorry and I deeply admire women like you (I don't know, I just imagine) who seem to run on Duracells, but I just happen not be one of such :(, esp. now with a baby. For our sake the "official" part might perhaps have been shorter, too, as it was now we were away from homes&babies for around 6 hours, it can drive even a kindest husband slightly crazy ;). It is not critique :) it is sharing new knowledge learned by experience.

Otherwise the party was just fine I think. I hope others danced on, I had to run home after the dessert& coffee. The women all looked wonderful, the mix of all different nations and temperaments was exciting and interesting, I really need go to the next meeting, I decided.

We should perhaps publish somewere the companies who granted all these vouchers, as it is now, only I know that e.g. 101 pet shop gave me a 100LE voucher, pretty generous in a country where this is several weeks salary for some... or what? Each of us know only sponsor of own voucher. Publish the sponsors.

The location was super, I am immensely happy that I have found another place where to go for an easy sunset meal or coffee, as a change to Sadiki or Reef Beach. It was just perfect for the party too because we were not really on the beach (think of all these high heels) but had the feeling of being, and while the place opened up to unlimited views, it also at the same time had a feeling of being closed and intimate, just for us. Great choice!

But I have to mention, too, that I expected more from Grand Rotana. They can make such beautiful settings, if they want or feel compelled to, but I do not think they as much as moved a table for the SWC evening. The food was good but also the 120LE per fixed number of persons, group dinner, and all drinks extra, was quite well asked for it, I think. The birthday cake for 70 women was just a small cake off their usual buffet I think, chocolate text added, and the rest of the dessert table was quite as unimpressive. Etc. An easy evening, easy income for them, I think SWC could ask for, deserves, better.

Thus what - you do something, you err, you learn from it, then err again.. this is how it goes, and what is here to be frustrated about??? You are a woman, this in itself should suffice to feel happy - think if you were born a man... :-O the poor beings.
;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:30 am 
VIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:09 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:11 am 
VIP

Post subject: Annoyed Foreigner
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:51 am 

Well said Jayne.

I don't want to start up a new argument on the same topic but now that I am over the tupperware comment :lol: I am know very pissed off about someones comments about most of the women here in Sharm are dancers divers or prostitutes ???? I think it might be a combination of blogs but I want to say this to who ever started it....

How did you come to Sharm???? or why???? r u married to an egyptian??assuming you are married and have a child which school will you put your child in because some of the women you speak about also have children so what will you do, will you allow your child to attend the sames schools as them??

I do agree however that there are probably more educated egyptians here than foreigners but do think maybe bcz there is more of them??? and does education make you smarter or classier than another??? I don't think so

We are all entitled to our opinions but some should be just left unsaid!

Sincerely,

An educated foreigner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:32 am 

Sorry Chris should have put this on Sharmers topic will post it there MALISH :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:40 pm 
VIP

Post subject: Eshta
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:16 pm 
VIP

I just wanted to thank Eshta, knowing how much she did for the club (with the ones getting it legalized, organizing the birthday parties etc.) and is still doing... We miss you here... :cry:

And I can only agree on your comment, Eshta. Things can only improve once you are active and give your input.

Post subject: Hi there!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:02 am 

Chris, I thoroughly enjoyed your comments & discussion subjects. I appreciate your hard work and thanks to you and other active members of SWC, life is much easier and much more exciting in Sharm.
Honestly, you are the salt & pepper of Sharm Women, and I would love to help in any way I can and pick up thing where you left off.

I could update the website, and help in much needed areas where you see fit. My professional background is Business consultancy, Marketing & IT.

I already started to contribute to the discussion forum by responding to questions and commenting on subjects to get the forum up-to-date and active again. In the next few days, and once I go through all the messages threads, I will start discussions on needed topics while providing useful info & insights. Rather than re-inventing the wheel, I will come up with fresh & interesting open-ended questions and relevant lists of restaurants, doctors, shops...etc in an unbiased and objective way.

From your text below, please, allow me to ask you few questions. I will certainly not ask you why you should do this and do that...!
I think, you have done a collossal job with a noble mission...and some of us should step in to lend a helping hand. After all, it would benefit everyone!

"I am with the club since 7 years, more than 3 years active starting with a project to legalize the club and I must tell you sometimes it is frustrating...
Also this project did just not continue as we were not strong enough.
And than you hear, SWC should... should... the note was to clarify that nobody is working for the club, but it is volunteer work of a few. Many times it seems this is misunderstood. I agree we could do much more, but where are the ones to help? I for myself would like to have some charity projects and am thinking about a way to help the bedouins, women or children...
And I still think it would be great to have a place with libarary and coffee corner... but how to finance? "

Have you legalised the the Club yet?
Do you have a business/Marketing plan for the club to attract finance for the library and coffee corner?
I could help you with the legal part & the finance part once the legality of the project is established. There are so many similar working examples like "La Maison Espagnole", l'Institut Du Monde Arabe", "Asia Society", "Rotary Club", "Americans in Britain", "Expats Wives Club"...etc
But Egypt, being Egypt...I would like to know how far you went with that.
I do speak and read/write Arabic...in case you need to translate or decipher legal papers.

All the best.

fbelke@hotmail.com