It is currently Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:52 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Residence visas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:24 pm 

Hi all, 3 years on I am still trying to get to Sharm. We finally have an offer on our house. What is the residence visa situation now? I will be coming with two birds so need to be sure I wouldn't get turned down for renewals. Can you get something more permanent now? How long do they last. Once again I cannot get through to the Embassy. Also, can foreigners buy farm land? I have seen mixed answers doing research on it. I read somewhere that the law recently changed and you can now. Is that true?

thanks for any and all help

Post subject: Re: Residence visas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:49 pm 

Hi there, just out of interest, can you import birds into Egypt now. I know it was stopped due to bird flu a while back. Would be interested to hear your reply.

Thanks

Lou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 pm 

Hi Lou,

Wow you have a point, I didn't realize they stopped it, I will look into it and let you know what I find out. Thanks for reminding me to check the most important of thing of all, I won't come without my babies!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:32 am 

I know what you mean. I have a cockatoo and looked into it when we purchased in Egypt over 18 months ago.

We are not looking to more for a few years yet so have plenty of time. i did read somewhere that the ban had been lifted for pet domestic birds but not sure how up to date the information was. fingers crossed it will be ok. What birds are you taking. I got my original advice from DEFRA in the UK but they said the UK had stopped export of all birds. Hopefully this has now changed also.

Let me know you get on. Good luck

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:25 pm 

Hi, I have a cockatiel and a parakeet. I did not know the UK stopped it! Oh no, I will contact DEFRA today. I hope you can take your bird too. Are you worried about air travel? I won't take mine unless they can sit on the flight with me in the cabin. Egyptair will allow that. But I don't know if the UK stops that, last I checked it was ok. I will let you know.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:02 pm 

Hiya, yes I would be worried about putting a bird in the hold. I dont think my cockatoo would like it one bit and would probably come out completely plucked as he tends to do this if he is stressed.

Would be great if you could take them in the cabin. My main worry is if I need to come home for a while what I would do with him once out there!! We are not thinking of moving for another seven or eight years yet so have plenty of time to plan and hey lets keep in touch and we can be birdy "baby" sitters. I treat my cockatoo like a baby, he is very spoiled and loved and fussed over all the time! Worse than a child in fact! now I just put you off LOL.

Anyway it would be great to keep in touch, we have purchased in Nabq in Sharm - I see you are thinking of purchasing a farm/farmland, how exciting.

Anyway please keep in touch - is there a way we can exchange email without having to list it on here. I have not ever done a PM on here and not sure if you can.
With regard to residency visa, i know you can get an annual one and am assuming you would just go to El tor each year to renew it, although I am not 100% sure so will ask the question elsewhere and see if anyone else can help.

Thanks.

Lou (Southampton, UK)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:47 pm 

Hello, I have pressed the pm button (not sure how to do it either) so hopefully that will get through to you with my email address.

Your bird sounds lovely! Mine are very spoiled too. Kya, my cockateil has been with me for 7 years. My vet said he has never seen such an affectionate bird. She loves to cuddle and kiss. She is my faithful little soulmate. She has been with me through so mcuh. Robbie I rescued last year as a friend for her, and hopefully someone to travel with, but she hates him! However, I love him and couldn't bear to lose him so someone has to watch them most of the time because they do squabble. They are free, not caged up.

I will tell you more on the personal email. It would be nice to have a trustworthy babysitter! I would love that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:20 pm 

Hi Lou,

Have emailed you at your personal email yesterday, did you receive it?